By Plane, Train, or Automobile
Flights and Airports
The closest airports to Banner Elk, NC are:
• Tri-Cities Regional Airport in TN (approximately an hour and a half away)
• Piedmont Triad Airport in Greensboro, NC (approximately 2 hours and 15 minutes away)
• Asheville Regional Airport in Fletcher, NC (approximately 2 hours away)
• and the Charlotte Douglas International Airport in Charlotte, NC (approximately 2 hours and 15 minutes away)
There is an airline called Allegiant Air that flies to Greensboro and Tri-Cities for VERY cheap. They now have their September schedules up, so if you head over to their website and look up the dates you will see that the following flights are available:
• Tri-Cities Regional Airport – Allegiant Air – Flights on Wednesday, Sept. 28 and Friday, Sept. 30 to Monday, Oct. 3 for $70 each way.
• Piedmont Triad Airport – Allegiant Air – Flights on Thursday, Sept. 29 to Sunday, October 2 for $65 each way.
• Asheville Regional Airport – Delta Airlines – Flights on Thursday, Sept. 29 to Sunday, October 2 starting at $200 round-trip.
and for Charlotte…
• Charlotte Douglas International Airport – Delta Airlines – Flights on Thursday, Sept. 29 to Sunday, October 2 starting at $200 round-trip.
Bus From Greensboro
If you are flying into Greensboro, there is a bus called PART that departs until about 3pm that you can take called the Mountaineer Express from Greensboro to Boone (which is right outside of Banner Elk) for about $10. It will take a little longer, but its definitely a cheaper option!
Bus From Asheville
There are wedding rates for the Asheville Airport Express shuttle going to and from the Asheville Airport for $40/hr, this may be something a larger group can invest in and share!
Bus From Charlotte
If you are flying into Charlotte and would like to take the bus to Boone, there is a bus called the Hickory Hop that can take you there for $70 one way or $120 round trip.
By Party Bus
Well, because I just had to. Maybe if enough people are up to party we could get on of these?
If you are flying into an airport in the area, we have found some deals at Budget Rent A Car. If you make the reservation a while in advance, you can usually save money that way. Also, you can enter the following BCD codes (or Budget Customer Discount codes, usually you can only use one per reservation, but it doesn’t hurt to try!) and coupon code:
Slavens/Claytor Wedding Discount (5%-25%): U070343
Up to 35% discount code: D419800
Costco customer discount code (anyone can use it- up to 30%): W852802
Coupon Code (note that not all coupon codes can be used in conjunction with BCD codes, but this one can!)
Free Sunday Rental code (only for compact cars): TUFZ007
When you make the reservation online, you won’t see these discounts being applied to your estimated cost, they only apply them at the time of pickup. So I suggest, in order to see what you could actually save with these discounts, calling to make the reservation and asking them to run the discount codes to show you your REAL estimated cost. Also, feel free to look at websites like retailmenot.com, couponchief.com, and others once in a while to try and get the best deal possible!
Its kind of a haul, but if you have some extra time and want to carpool, it may be a better option than flying! The drive is about 10 hours from our house in Orlando, if you can limit the bathroom breaks. Below are driving directions to Banner Elk, and from there to the Slavens’ cabin and venue.
Directions to Banner Elk from Orlando:
Below are detailed written instructions (thanks, Dad!) and a link to the Google Maps:
- Take I-4 East to 95 North
- Hop on 95 North and take that through Florida and Georgia, and into South Carolina
- About an hour and a half into South Carolina, you will take an exit for I-26 North.
- Take I-26 West through South Carolina (Columbia, Greenville, etc) and cross over the NC border
- About 5 or so miles into North Carolina, take the exit immediately after the rest stop towards Columbia
- Go straight through the roundabout (BE CAREFUL HERE! I’ve gotten really turned around during this part) to 74 East. Take the exit on the right to get on 74E. Another way to look at it is: if you come into the roundabout from “6 o’clock”, you want to exit it at “12 o’clock”, go about 150 yards, then take the ramp on the right to 74East.
- Take 74E to the Rutherfordton/221 exit.
- Take 221 North (left). Go through Rutherfordton and stay on 221 through Marion and then another 30-45 minutes or so. PAY ATTENTION! Because about a mile or two after you cross over I-40, you will find that you will have to turn left at a light to stay on 221N.
- Take 221N until it dead ends into Highway 184/105.
- Turn right onto 184/105 and go about 1 mile.
- Turn left onto 105 (you will see a big “Grandfather Mountain” sign at that intersection).
- Go about 5-6 miles to Highway 184. You will see an Exxon on your left and a McDonald’s on your right.
- Turn left onto Highway 184 and this will run through downtown Banner Elk.
If you are coming to the Slavens’ cabin:
- The road that goes through downtown Banner Elk (Highway 184) will dead end into Main Street East (N Carolina 194 N), and you will take a right at this light.
- Follow this windy road about 3.4 miles.
- When you see the house on the left that has the red telephone booth (among other things) in the front yard, slow down. Our street, Cross Creek Trail, is a gravel road on your left about a quarter mile from there.
- The address to the cabin is 156 Cross Creek Trail Banner Elk, NC 28604. Its the first house on the right.
If you pass the Matney Community Center (coming from Banner Elk) you’ve gone too far.
Click here to go to the Google Maps directions from Orlando to the Slavens’ cabin.
If you are coming to the venue:
- The road that goes through downtown Banner Elk (Highway 184) will dead end into Main Street West (N Carolina 194 S), and you will take a left at this light.
- Continue to follow 194 S for about 3.7 miles.
- Take a sharp right onto State Road 1310.
- Take the first right to stay on 1310.
- Turn right onto Eagles Nest Lane.
- The address to the venue is 68 Eagles Nest Trail Banner Elk, NC 28604.
Click here to go to the Google Maps directions from Orlando to the wedding venue.