The Proposal

On Thursday, December 16, 2010, David took me out to dinner. It all started when he arrived at my house at 4:45pm, earlier then planned, to pick me up for a date. He got me out of the house, upon request from my parents (unbeknownst to me), and took me to Merrill’s to say hello to her and the kids. We arrived to find Michael, Merrill, and Gracie in the living room. Everyone was acting a bit strange, and not really talking to me too much (which I later found out was because they knew and didn’t want to spill the beans). David had reserved a two top at the Ravenous Pig, the restaurant where his brother Andrew works in the kitchen (which just happens to be our very favorite spot), at 5:30pm. So we arrived at the bar a bit early and got some yummy cocktails. After an amazing meal of Guinea Hen and those delicious and insanely addictive truffle fries, Andrew had the kitchen send out a dessert for us. Thank you Ting Ting! (Ting Ting is Andrew’s nickname in the kitchen, coined because that little scavenger scrounges around for glass bottles and tings them together). And, as it turns out, the dinner was on my Aunt Jana (THANK YOU)! We were stuffed and so happy.

We continued the date by driving down to Park Avenue and walking around a bit. David took me to Kilwin’s to get a treat…yes, another treat. Then we strolled around by the big Christmas tree and watched a bit of the movie in the park. We were getting ready to leave and go to “some other plans” David had been talking about all night. We were walking up to his truck, and as I went to get in I noticed he continued to walk. So I went with it, and skipped up to him. We walked hand in hand, up to the church that has become our second home. We stopped in front of a tiny chapel I had never been in on the side of the church, and he peeked in. I got up on my tip toes and peeked in, too. The inside was dimly lit with tons of candles, and he led me in.

We walked to the front of the chapel and sat down. This was about the moment I started freaking out. David, being the smooth operator he is, asked me what I wanted for Christmas, and I simply answered “you.” I don’t think he was expecting that setup so quickly, so he nervously got down on his knees in front of me and stammered along. Neither of us remember much of what he said (David claims he “blacked out, then threw the ring at me and ran out the door”), but I do remember him holding the ring out to me and both of us not really knowing what to do next. So after a sweet, nervous speech and the offer of a gorgeous diamond ring I said “Are you asking me to marry you?.” He said “Yes.” We both cried a bit, and then we prayed at the altar.

David told me that he wanted to take me by my parents house to tell them, then to Merrill’s to tell her, then we could call everyone else. We drove down the street in David’s Chevy pickup honking the horn and screaming out the window for all the world to hear of our new relationship status.

We pulled up to my house and I ran inside. Of course, I don’t just find my family, I find cousins, aunts, uncles, grandparents, and friends all waiting inside. I think we figured there had to have been about 60 people there. It was a wonderful and completely overwhelming evening of champagne and telling (and retelling) the story of how it happened, oh and lots of bling flashing. It was perfect, and although he didn’t say what he had been planning to say, he got down on one knee and asked me the most important question of my life. And, of course, I said yes.

David & Morgan | 2011

Thanks for all your love and support!